I say this, with great assurance, for multiple reasons:
1) jazz and the terrace totally mix. What's better than listening to jazz and watching the sun set over lake mendota? Not a whole lot.
2) there will be dancing. Oh, there will be dancing. Madison Jazz Orchestra (thursday, 10:30-11pm), Chicago Afro-Latin Jazz Ensemble (Friday, 10:00-11:15pm), and my personal favorite from last year, Madisalsa (Saturday,10:00-11:30pm) will most assuredly get you on your feet.
3) ROY HAYNES. Man, have you seen the Isthmus article by Susan Kepecs about him?
The Isthmus headline calls him "THE GREATEST DRUMMER ALIVE" and frankly, I think they might be right on that one... he's worked with EVERYONE... from Sarah Vaughan to Count Basie to Miles Davis. Haynes is coming with his own trio to the WUT stage, and I, for one, am pumped.
4) If it rains, (and quite honestly it might. a lot) we're totally prepared. Not only do we have backup locations out the wazoo (thursday - WUT, friday - WUT, Saturday -Rathskeller, Madisalsa-WUT, and Sunday - Rathskeller) for the first time ever, in the event of the WUT being the chosen rain location - you, our dear festival goer, will be allowed to bring your BEER into the theater. Epic, I know.
and last but certainly not least,
6) we're going to have a tent on the terrace! yeah! a big tent! It'll be jazz fest headquarters for artist CD sales, distribution of our SNAZZY newly printed season brochure, and information for both festival goers and artists. Trust me, you haven't lived until you've spoken with a "tent specialist" on the phone to arrage for said tent.
See ya there!